Saturday, May 8, 2010

Karotten, Zweibel und Tomaten Aufstrich

WTF, right?

Well this is Emma's newest obsession - foodwise, I mean.

We discovered this "Carrot, Onion, and Tomato bread spread" at a Fair Christian had to work at. It was from a Kids Nutrition stand and they were giving samples of this out, and Emma gobbled up 2 pieces before I walked back to get the recipe. She even loves helping me prepare this, probably because she knows it's going to get in her belly quicker...GET IN MY BELLY!!

How many carrots do you need, Mom??


Ingredients:

2 Carrots Shredded
1 small onion (about 1/3 cup) finely chopped
A little less than a stick of Butter, softened
2 nice sized Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
2 teaspoons of fresh herbs (I use chives and parsley because that's what I grow)
Salt & Pepper (Although I omit the Salt when I make this for Emma)

How to:

Bring the Tomato Paste & Butter to room temperature together, if they're not at the same temperature they won't mix well.

Dump in everything else.

Stir.

Spread immediately on a piece of bread and munch! We use a brown bread that's called "Bauern Brot", or Farmers bread, I think it's the equivalent of a rye or wheat bread. It's delicious, healthy, and a great way for Emma (or YOU) to get a good serving of veggies! We even made this for her birthday party and used cookie cutters to cut them into elephant shapes...it was a big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment