Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ayurvedic Solution to my Stuffy Problem


Have you heard of the Neti-Pot? Here's a picture of what one is:

Neti Wash Eco Neti Pot™
You can also read about it here. I absolutely love mine! It has been the only thing that can clear up my sinuses that seem to clog up overnight. Eww, I know...but I think it's something that's related to the pregnancy, because I do not have sinus issues when I'm NOT pregnant.

It looks a bit strange, and can even be a bit overwhelming to concur a "perfect pour"; however with not being able to use nasal sprays or medicines to help with this problem, the Neti-Pot has come to my rescue everytime! They are available in a variety of materials (ceramic, plastic, various metals), but I recommend the ceramic one - I think it's the easiest to keep clean and dry in between uses.

You use it with a special Nasal Salt and warm water to flush out the "impurities" that live in your sinuses. It's safe to use multiple times a day, but I just need it once in the morning. I know people who use it everyday even when they DON'T have sinus issues because it's such a great method of cleaning out ALL impurities that you breathe in (think smog my L.A. homies!).
There are many instructional videos on Youtube that were helpful to me in the beginning.

Here in Germany, you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT buy medicine in the typical drugstores. You must go to an Apotheke (pharmacy) for everything - even just regular Aspirin! I've never been a HUGE medicine taker. I would always much rather try to "wait it out" or try other traditional ways to get rid of a problem (headache, stomachache, sinus problem), so it hasn't been too hard a transition for me to get used to this medicinal output of only buying in a pharmacy.

So the bottom line, if you suffer from stuffiness: Give this little ceramic wonder a try!
Pour your problems away!

1 comment:

  1. I used a Netti-pot for the first time a couple months ago... and totally LOVED it (is that weird?). It's such a good feeling to see all that gunk come out your nose when you're so darn stuffed up.

    ReplyDelete